Wednesday 9 March 2016

Villain Profile Carnage

 
I learned my lesson and I'm just doing one by one now not a list that just makes no sense anymore.
 
 
Let me take you back to let's say 1996. I'm a young impressionable youth. I love Spiderman and my grandparents grab me a game for my Sega genesis. Spiderman and Venom Maximum Carnage. Yes my grandparents bought an 8 year old a game called Maximum Carnage it was different times. Anyway One of the better things about this game is that it introduced me to Cletus Kasady.
 
 A serial killer who looks FUCKING AWESOME (Bias) when in his symbiote suit. A suit split off from the alien venom suit and while the venom suit attached to Eddie Brock a guy who at best had a chip on his shoulder and the suit amplified that to more or less turning him into a turbo bully. That same power amplified to literally being as strong as Spiderman and Venom combined and given to a slightly less stable Joker. Think about that for a moment. A less stable version of the joker who is incredibly strong and can turn his hand into a Battleaxe. That is a beast of legend.
 
Long story short with Mr. Kasady Bad childhood plus one of those creepy kids who dissects the neighborhood dog equals Cletus pushes granny down the stairs and gets put in a boys home. Messed up all round. But it never really improved for him either since as an adult he went into a life of crime. Then basically turned into the joker with far less of a plan to what he's doing. THEN the aliens happened.
 
We all know the story of venom. Alien Symbiote bonds with Spiderman. Spiderman gets the heevy jeevies and ditches it. Spidey's personal nemesis Eddie Brock gets the suit and becomes Venom a being made of pure desire to wedgie the hell out of Spiderman because fuck that guy amirite? There's more to it but I love messing with venom fanboys. Where was I?

Right. After a while though the symbiote had to reproduce and split off another symbiote and at the time Eddie Brock was in a cell with Kasady. After he venom hulked out of jail he didn't notice the bundle of joy he left behind and long story short we've now got the scariest goddamn thing in existence running around.
 
One interesting thing about Carnage as the symbiote using Cletus Kasady though. While most symbiote hosts call themselves "We" and refer to themselves as two beings. Carnage Bonded so completely with his symbiote so much to the point where the symbiote will try to find Kasady specifically. A bit spooky but compared to the rest of the carnival it's a drop in the puddle.
 
 
 
 But then we have his big event in the comics. Thanos had The Infinity war. Joker had The killing joke. Carnage had Maximum Carnage. The comic story not the game though really same difference for story purposes. The story is simple. Carnage gets a bunch of guys together and starts wrecking shit and pooping on couches. That's it really and as simple as it sounds it fits carnage perfectly. Carnage doesn't have a plan. He doesn't think ahead of time or often time at all. As long as he has a few people with him he's a force of nature and even if he doesn't he's still incredibly strong. Again really so much of this comes down to simplicity. Really I could have said "He's a less stable more durable joker who can turn his arm into an axe" and really that says it all but this villain left an impact on me.
 
Like I said I had this game Maximum carnage as a kid and I enjoyed it. In hindsight maybe not great but I enjoyed it back then so shush. It was the first time I ever saw a distinct villain in anything and that same picture from the beginning was in the game. In fact most comic panels from the arc were fairly well translated into the game. Well relatively well translated anyway. It stuck a note with me and carnage just became the benchmark for me. A digitized laugh would pop up every now and then and it freaked me out and early on he pops up and fights venom and he was a nightmare. It was a forced loss after a bit but even then he was just a prick to fight. The odd time he'd pop up later he was hard as hell and the final boss fight was insane. His health wouldn't even move until you beat on him for a good few minutes.

It did show me something though. I wanted to beat him because of how hard he was and that's both how I got into games and villains. Both him and venom were just cool characters but because of the game and later the animated series I just have this nostalgic love for this character. That and let's face it. The random and psychotic way he behaves and has no plan or anything and still is a force to be reckoned with. That to me is intimidating. He throws knowledge and planning out of the window for complete random and unpredictability but god knows that's not something he thought out. Fighting him is like fighting a large bee with a sword. Hard to predict and hit but can seriously mess you up. Fact of the matter is he's nightmare fuel that can mess you up. Like a tank with a picture of your parents having sex on the side......Think I'm gonna leave on that note.


No comments:

Post a Comment