Wednesday 14 September 2011

Doctor who: The mirror effect

I should probably save this for when I do the review But something recently occurred to me when I Saw one of the recent new episodes of doctor who the episode "night terrors". I heard a nursery rhyme and since I freaking love really creepy little girl nursery rhymes cause sinister is my middle name I went to find the lyrics which go something like this.....


Tick tock goes the clock
And what now shall we play?
Tick tock goes the clock
Now summer's gone away?

Tick tock goes the clock
And what then shall we see?
Tick tock until the day
That thou shalt marry me

Tick tock goes the clock
And all the years they fly
Tick tock and all too soon
You and I must die

Tick tock goes the clock
He cradled her and he rocked her
Tick tock goes the clock
Even for the Doctor..
First off at the end of the episode when the last line played and the death certificate for the doctor was shown I got really big chills.I have to admit that was by and large the creepiest thing in the episode and that is saying alot but the second thing was I noticed the name of the lake the doctor died and got chills "lake silencio"....Okay I got chills from that too but for different reasons more like chills of face palmage.

But I noticed in the comments of a video on the rhyme a commentor mentioned that the date of the doctor's death was april 22 2011 and flip the date of 22/04 makes 4022 double 2011.He also said 4022 was the year river song died but Upon research it is not the date of her death but the number of people saved in the silence in the library two parter in which river song died. From that point on i started noticing things left and right with the mirror effect to it mostly in series 6 but some in  series 5. For instance In series 6 the doctor had an incident with adolf hitler and mentioned that "The british are coming" Funny since he should know that since the series before He was with winston churchill dealing with the nazi-esque daleks. kind of a double mirror.

But also I huge theme in series 6 seems to be a mirror of life and death,and love and war.Love causes life and war causes death.But here's something spooky the first episode featured the "Death" of the doctor caused by the war madame Kovarian had with the doctor.The last episode has been confirmed to be called the wedding of river song and we saw the birth of river song AKA melody pond in the series.Death from war and life from love.Beginninng and end.Mirroring the actual relationship between the doctor and river song. The first time the doctor met river was the last time river would meet the doctor and assumedly vice versa.

But let's go back to the poem for a second.the first three verses seem to be telling the story of a relationship between two people ending in their deaths again appropriate since We've seen the deaths of both characters but the last verse seems to be the kicker. mentioning a "He" cradling and rocking a child implying the doctor knowing river when she was born but ending with time running out "Even for the doctor"

I absolutly love this massive web of mirrored fates and numbers it really shows some interesting thinking with the staff though in fairness if all of this was on purpose I really underestimate steve moffat but I do love this kind of thing and with the next episode the god complex coming up in a few days My interest is really soaring with how this is gonna go.

No comments:

Post a Comment