Saturday 26 January 2013

ISWT Review: Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

 
 
 
So after buying Playstation all stars Battle Roayle I'm kind of on a massive sony binge.The Jak Series,The Killzone games and of course my favorite The Ratchet and Clank series.Oh man do I love these games.Well after three anyway.The First game had a few too many frustrating parts and with no weapon upgrades or nearly the quality in comedy It was a rough title.Not terrible just rough.The second title Going commando was a huge step up giving weapons an upgrade.It's an improvement to say the least and I do reccomend it.But I only recently played The first two on the HD collection for the original trilogy.The third game on the other hand I have alot of experience with.I got it as a kid and between the comedy,the amazing weapons and one of my favorite villains This game is amazing,but lemme start at the beginning.
 
 
 The main story is basically self contained.While some back stories like Quark's are nice to have it's nowhere near considered and really the main reason to play the other games first is A. To play them for yourself (Duh) or B for the Discounts you get on weapons from having save data from said previous games.It's basically A three fold story, First off An alien race being unleahsed on the galaxy called the tyrannoids by An Insane robot named Dr Nefarious.Round 2 being against a massive celebrity who spreads nefarious' word against organic beings.and round three against nefarious himself.It's simple but it all goes together quite well.for the sake of spoilers I won;t go too far into details but it's not really the story that drives you.It's the characters and the comedy.The characters are a bit cartoony and whatnot but they're well written in that they're one note but not beaten over your head to the point of annoyance.Used when can be used for a good joke.


Seriously I fucking love this guy.In Fact I prefer him Over Dr.Eggman.....Oh yes...I went there.


In fact two of the best Comedic relief characters ever Are in this game.The complete Idiot/Super hero Captain quark and the aforementioned Dr.nefarious.Now It may sound beyond cheesy with some of the names like Dr nefarious or The aforementioned robotic Celebrity Courtney gears,And trust me that is the point.These games have a very old school cartoony feel to them in terms of comedy and while that may result in a few groaners (emphasis on few)  alot of the old school cartoon humor is dead on and it's done perfectly.It can be polarizing but I myself love it.


While the graphics and soundtrack may be A dime a dozen (Not bad just average sans a few tracks on the soundtrack which are fantastic,namely the nefarious and courtney gears boss music.) the gameplay is a hell of alot of fun.Incredibly simplistic but well implemented 3rd person shooter.Made in large part by the weapon variety.My god does this game have great weapons.From robot body guards to a lava gun(Which originated in Ratchet 2) to the almighty RY3NO (Or rip you 3 new ones) The weapons make this game fun.The level up system and how varied the upgrades are give massive drive to using different weapons to see how crazy things could get.


But Ratchet 3 has something extra.The captain quark vid comics.While playing you'll run into Quark Vid comics which are side scrolling platforming and beat 'em up sections and while simplistic they are kick ass.They just add a nice bit of cheesy fun to the game that adds just a little kick to the game as is.It's what pushes this game into a really good place in my mind.
 
 
I ALMOST want a full maybe 10-15 dollar title of that stuff.Seriously It's pretty neat.
 
 
But let's be fair here.The gameplay really is driven by the weapons and the desire to level them up and see what they do.The actual gameplay is pretty generic as far as 3rd person shooters go.Not bad just generic.The story really is again just okay.It has a few moments you don't expect but past that it's pretty by the numbers and at times can be a little contrived.Really what drives this game isn't the base gameplay it's the unique gimmicks that make this game good.The ability to level weapons,your own health,The comedy,the characters,and the level design are what make this game good.It's a very polarizing game I think.Some people will love it for the little things it has others will find it generic for the big things.I myself love this game to death.It's very hard not to say it's my favorite game ever and I kinda want to but sonic generations still tops it.I really reccomend this game.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment