Monday 4 February 2013

ISWT Review: DMC: Devil may cry

Hoo boy.Can you smell the fanboy rage on this one?
 
 

 
I was going to do a Vlog review on this but I couldn't find a way to properly say things with the controversy involved.I was going to do a not review and just avoid the situation but you know what? FUCK IT.I really enjoy this game and yes I like the new Dante.I think he's on par with the old one if not better and yes I am serious.but you know what let's get down to details before I have to bring out a riot shield.
 
 
.We begin with the new dante the morning after one hell of a party and I will say that the fact he lives in a trailer is pretty scummy.I'll give you that.But he's awoken by Kat a member of a group called "The order" who need Dante to take down a tyrant named Mundus who has taken control of mankind via debt and kept them tame via mindcontrol,surveilance,and violence when necessary.The only people who can stop his power given to him by a hellgate is a nephilim.A half angel,half demon hybrid which only two exist; Dante and the leader of the order as well as dante's twin brother Vergil.Dante,Kat,and Vergil spend basically the entire game trying to take out the mind control and surveilance systems to get mundus' dander up and get him away from the hell gate to sever it's power and in his weakened state Kill mundus.That is the incredibly abridged version.There is alot more to it but to avoid spoilers I won't get too far into details.The story is one of the better ones in the franchise and I would actually say it's Pretty good in general.A story of rebellion,rebirth,and revenge against a man who wants to control the world for his own means..


To be fair the rather Obvious Fox news parody is a bit Blatent for my taste even if does get a laugh every time I see bob barbas cause my mind just goes to "Fuck it! We'll do it live"


But one of my favorite things with this game is the main theme of it; Perseverance.Now that's what I got out of it anyway but between the news media turning The order into a terrorist group and literally the world turning against him in Limbo(I'll get to it in a second) it all feels like everything is against dante.Hell even the fanbase is against the new dante but again I'll get to that later.Between that and what I at least consider to be the new dante's theme (Never surrender by combichrist) it all adds into the theme of dante overcoming odds and everything being against him.Maybe I'm exaggeratting and that's not what was intended but it seems right to me and to me it makes everything feel alot stronger.


Like I mentioned earlier the levels seem too want to kill you sometimes and that is because of limbo.Demons don't live in the real world sans a few powerful ones like mundus they live in a mirrored dimension that can affect the real world called limbo.Limbo is a genius idea and the single best idea in the game in my opinion.It removes all boundaries when it comes to level design and because of this and the pretty damn good graphic quality this game looks gorgeous.Not to mention having walls shift or close around you can cause some cool moments.



But it's not just the levels trying to kill you.The enemies are.....well kinda bland design wise and some of them can get a little rage inducing on harder difficulties.I would say the enemies are easily the worst part of the game to me.bad design and often just hard to fight even if the combat is amazing.Oh by the way the combat is amazing.The use of angelic and demonic weapons and the hooks make combat a blast.In the second stage you gain access to A demonic axe called arbiter and an angelic scythe called osiris.You can use them by holding The R2(Right trigger) and attacking as normal for demonic and L2(Left trigger) for angelic and because of the fact you can switch between different angelic and demonic weapons via the left and right D-pad buttons respectivly you can use every weapon on the fly without having to equip them specifically or go into a menu and I love it.That combined with the hooks whcih can either bring you towards an enemy or bring an enemy towards you.It's a really nice and flexible combat system that allows you alot of comfort and variety.With some tweeking it could be one of best combat systems for hack and slash type games and considering the style system really good for the devil may cry franchise in particular.


Speaking of the style system this is another thing that alot of people seem to turn against with this game.The style system from devil may cry promotes using different weapons and variety in combat by giving you style points which would serve different purposes in different games.The general thought is that's it's much easier then the original games to get to triple S rank and while I do agree that it is I actually think it's more balanced now.In Devil may cry 3 I would rarely if ever get a maxed style rating.In DmC I may have ten times so far after the equivalent of two playthroughs.It's still very difficult to do it just a bit easier.


Alright.Let's talk about Dante.I will say from this point on is my opinion especially considering the division of the fanbase considering the matter.In other words....

What the sign said.


So when DmC was first announced and the new dante revealed I was actually one of the angry ones.Not so much because I didn't want them to change the old dante or because I thought a reboot was stupid (In fact to be honest after 4 I'm glad they did cause the only thing they could have done was keep nero on as the main character and no thank you) It was mostly because of what the new dante was like in the trailer.A quiet smoker.Okay smoking was just a weird decision but quiet was a bad move.Seriously The game series title is a play on devil may care meaning recklessness.I don't get that from the First new dante and had they stuck with that I think I could understand alot of the rage people have against the new dante.That being said they did change his personality and slightly altered his appearance.Very slightly.He was no longer a quiet smoker and now more of a rebellious punk and that was a sigh of relief for me.However I hear alot of people thought that this was an attempt to suck up to fans by making him more like the old dante.Now whether that was the case I have no idea but regardless I think it happened for the better.

He's a rebel punk and I think that works quite well.In fact now that I think of it I do like him more then the older dante.I think the main reason is that the character actually has an arc,and theming unlike the original who just had anime-esque badassery.There is nothing wrong with that and in 3 it worked quite well for him but I'll take depth over badassery any day of the week.

That's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it dammit


Now while devil may cry 3 has better characters and a better villain in arkham then Dmc,(seriously Kat is pretty bare in terms of characteristics and mundus is okay but compared to lady and arkham it's not even a contest) everything else is just above Devil may cry 3 but not quite enough.Like I said I think Dmc is the second best game in the franchise and I seriously hope people can get past their reasons for hating it and give it a chance.....and man am I glad to get that off my chest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment